A real mascot of the town, the Fontaine Moussue (Mossy Fountain) already existed in the 16th century and was a prominent place for walks and a meeting place for the people of Salon, who came to enjoy its coolness. Place des Arbres (Tree Square), now Place Crousillat, already boasted a fountain in the 16th century.
On the decision of the town council in 1765, the current Grande Fontaine was built by the sculptor Maurice Bernus in 1775.
Hidden in the moss from which it took its name, this fountain, also used as a drinking trough during the Transhumance, is surmounted by two basins. Limestone concretions developed on it, welding the two basins together, as did the moss and the other plant life that now gives it this very unusual shape.
The square takes its name from the famous 19th-century poet, Antoine Blaise Crousillat. The larger Fontaine Moussue is decorated with four masks from which water spouts, framed by four lions' heads. The smaller Fontaine Moussue, located on Place Louis Blanc, has a crown decorated with mouldings.This construction was built of "good quality" stone from the Eyguières quarry, to bring water from Font de Maïre.This spring, located north of Salon in Les Canourgues, had fed all the town's fountains since the Middle Ages